2.7% of students receive academic support due to a disability

2.7% of students receive academic support due to a disability

September 21, 2018 - 12:15

2.7% of students receive academic support due to a disability

According to the last Non-University Education Statistics

Madrid will be hosting the 4th International Congress “University & Disability” on November 15 and 16

(Madrid, September 20th, 2018).- During the academic year 2016/2017, a total of 217.416 students with disabilities received academic support in Spain, which corresponds to 2.7 % of a total number of Spanish students, according to the Non-University Education Statistics collected by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Vocational Training.

The majority of them, 182.644 students, were attending elementary or secondary school, while just 3.580 students were attending Bachillerato (last 2 non-obligatory years of secondary school). The rest was attending some type of Vocational training or programme.

The transition of these youngsters to higher education will be one of the focus points at the 4th International Congress “University and Disability” organized by the ONCE Foundation and held in Madrid, on November 15 and 16.

With regard to the data concerning the students users of academic support, 83.5% were integrated into regular schools, while the remaining 16.5% were attending special education centres.

Moreover, with regard to the type of disability, 31.3% have some kind of intellectual disability; 22.1% have severe conduct disorder; 6.3% have some type of physical disability related to mobility impairment; 3.9% have auditory disability, and 1.6% have visual disability. In addition, 15.5% present some kind of pervasive developmental disorder.

By exhibiting these data, the ONCE Foundation wants to highlight the need to guarantee the right to inclusive education “Inclusive education is not a principle anymore, now it is a duty”, states Isabel Martínez Lozano, Commissioner for University, Youth and Special Plans of the ONCE Foundation.

The ONCE Foundation insists on academic support from early ages in order to block early school leaving and at the same time, increase the number of students with disabilities in University halls.


The current edition of the Congress, which coincides with the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, sets its main focus on establishing that the higher education and university studies are drivers of change for inclusion, the statement that complies with Article 26 of the aforementioned Declaration, as well as Article 24 of the International Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

This way, a gathering point is created for sharing experiences, best practices and the most relevant research on inclusive education, disability support services, managing inclusion, improvement of possibilities for employment, universal accessibility and all initiatives and projects related to University and Disability.

With the aim to increase the number of students with disabilities, the ONCE Foundation develops various lines of action, from strengthening young adolescents’ with disabilities awareness regarding the transition to higher education, to offering scholarships, as well as the possibility for the university students with disabilities to participate in its internship and traineeship programs.

You can find more information about the Congress on its website:


Ir al inicio del contenido